Senaru Crater Rim Tour
- Standard Booking $168
This is our standard list price for individuals wanting to join our challenging but fun Senaru Crater Rim trek.
- Group Booking (4-8 PAX) $152
For group bookings of 4-8 PAX we can offer a 10% discount off our standard list price.
- Group Booking (8+ PAX) $143
For group bookings of over 8 PAX we can offer a 15% discount off our standard list price.
- Private Trek (1 PAX) $270
If for some reason we do not have a group leaving on a specific date and you want to do this tour privately with guide and porters, we can offer a private package.
The Senaru Crater Rim trek is a two day one night package that will take you to one of the most iconic viewpoints on Lombok. Not only does the crater rim offer exceptional views of Mt Rinjani and lake Segara Anak, but also great views of Mt Agung and the three Gilis (Gili Trawangan, Gili Meno, Gili Air). Although not as tough as climbing to the summit of Mt Rinjani, the crater rim is still an arduous hike. Trekking to Senaru Crater Rim involves 10.5km of distance and 2000m of vertical elevation gain.
You will start in the village of Senaru, North Lombok. You will hike through the day, stopping to rest and have lunch in the rainforest. All going well, you should reach the crater rim campsite in time to watch the sunset. The following day you will walk off the mountain.
3 day / 2 night MRNP Adventure Package
MRNP Adventure Package Information
Day 1: Senaru Crater Rim trek: Approx 7 hours trekking, 10.5km distance, 2040m vertical ascent
- If travelling to Senaru on the morning of the trek, we’ll pick you up early and drive you to our office. You will be offered a cooked breakfast and coffee / refreshments.
- You’re local guide will brief you about the day’s trek to Senaru Crater Rim, which is 10.5km in distance, and involves a climb of 2000 vertical meters (yep, it’s mostly uphill!).
- Any luggage you don’t wish to carry on the trek can be left in a secure room at the office of our trekking partners, Rinjani Dawn Adventures. All you will need to carry is a daypack with a change of clothes and personal effects, toiletries etc. Your guide will give you a 1 litre bottle of water to carry, which you can switch out for a new one at any time.
- When you’ve packed your things and left any luggage you don’t want to take, you’ll make your way onto the Mt Rinjani trail, passing Senaru Tradtional Village at the entrance to Mt Rinjani National Park.
- There will be regular rest and re-hydration stops during the trek, as it’s mostly uphill. The first one will be after one hour of walking at “Pos 1” or “Bunut Ngengkang” (around 750m AMSL).
- The path up through the rainforest is easy under foot, but there are some tree roots you have to watch out for, incase you trip. You will be trekking under the forest canopy out of the direct sun for most of the day. But it can be humid, so ensure to take regular drink breaks (we recommend taking a CamelBack).
- The next break will be at “Pos 2” or “Montong Satas”. This will be approximately an hour long lunch break where the porters and guide will prepare delicious hot food. You are free to relax, take photos of monkeys and other wildlife, and chat amongst yourselves. We recommend taking off your hiking shoes at these breaks, to allow your feet to breathe.
- After you’ve had a decent break it will be time to put on your walking boots / trainers, and re-commence the hike to the Senaru Crater Rim / Plawangan Senaru.
- The next rest stop (usually taken around 3pm) is at “Pos 3” or “Mondokan Lokak” at 2000m elevation. You will have broken the treeline by this time, hopefully to clear blue skies!
- From Pos 3 you’ll have around another two hours of climbing to get to the crater rim. By this time you might be getting tired after the prolonged ascent through the jungle. Stick in there – there’s not too far to go!
- All going to plan, you should reach Senaru Crater Rim by 5pm, in time to admire the view and watch the sunset. Your guide will prepare you a hot drink, whilst the porters will make camp and start preparing the evening’s meal. We recommend you put on some warm clothes as soon as you’ve caught your breath.
- After dinner you can relax on a camp chair admiring the view, or crash out in your tent. It can get cold on Mt Rinjani at night, so it is recommended you bring some warm clothes for the evening. Please check out out Mt Rinjani Guide for more information.
Day 2: Senaru Crater Rim trek: Approx 5 hours trekking, 10.5km distance, 2040m vertical descent
- You’ll wake up to a fresh cup of Lombok coffee (grown in one of the local jungle coffee gardens) and hopefully a clear view of Mount Rinjani and lake Segara Anak. Your guide and porters will prepare you a hot breakfast, as well as fruit..
- You’ll have plenty of time to enjoy being on the crater, and are free to explore the ridgeline to take photos. But please be careful, as there are some places where you can fall.
- When everyone is ready to leave, you will start your walk down off the mountain, back to Senaru village.
- You will take rest-breaks at the stops used on the way-up, but it will be a lot easier than the day before – down hill all the way.
- Although going downhill is generally easier than up, it’s recommended you use the trekking poles supplied as it’s steep and slippery in places.
- When you get back to Senaru you’ll say goodbye to your guide and porters, and meet-up with one of our drivers, who’ll take you to your next destination.
- This will be the end of your Senaru Crater Rim trek.
Award Winning Guides
Our partners are award winning guides and incredible individuals who care about the environment and community.
We believe in minimal impact tourism that benefits the environment and local community. This is at the core of our business.
We can offer discounts for groups over four people. We have organized tours for schools and clubs in the past.
We are available to talk via WhatsApp and Messenger most of the time. Bookings are easier to manage via email, however.